Welcome!

A place to explore the method to my madness.

Sunday, March 15, 2015

State Festival Poster Project

In my traditional methods illustration class at CCAD this semester, one of the projects we worked on recently was a State Festival poster. Basically, I pulled a number from a bucket, I think it was 24, and then I was told that gave me the state South Carolina. I've never been to South Carolina, and I have zero idea of what state festivals could possibly happen there, so I jumped into some research. I made a list of some interesting festival names. I came across some that were interesting. See my whole process below!

Sketchbook Page 1
List of State Festivals in South Carolina 

Sketchbook Page 2
Narrowing Down Selections 

Sketchbook Page 3
Narrowing Down Selections

Sketchbook Page 4
Thumbnails Page 1

Sketchbook Page 5
Thumbnails Page 2

Sketchbook Page 6
Layout #1

Sketchbook Page 7
Thumbnails Page 3

Sketchbook Page 8
Thumbnails Page 4
Sketchbook Page 9
Layout #2

Sketchbook Page 10
Layout #3

Sketchbook Page 11
Layout #4

Sketchbook Page 12
Final Layout Linework


Finished 13 x 19 Acrylic Painting

Hand Lettering for Festival Poster Title

Adobe Illustrator Vector of Hand Lettering

Final 13 x 19 Poster
Overall, this was a really interesting project. It's one of the first times I have tried to integrate type into an illustration, so there were some struggles here and there. I tried to find fonts that were Japanese looking in nature, but they were all very stereotypical, so I had to do some hand lettering. Ultimately, I think it was for the best. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment