Welcome!

A place to explore the method to my madness.

Monday, November 17, 2014

3 Years Since My Last Update

Yep. You read that correctly. It's been 3 years since my last update and I had to jump through at least 10 hoops to find this blog again, figure out what email the blogger account was under, and then figure out the password so I can create a blog entry. Which will most likely go unseen until I find the energy to promote my blog. If you are here reading this, possibly because I have told you about it, thank you.

School Work

Within the past 3 years I have graduated high school and completed almost 3 semesters at the Columbus College of Art & Design. While most of my high school work might remain hidden forever, my freshman work (and some high school work) can be viewed here, and my sophomore work can be viewed here.

Personal Work

Even with all of the school work I have been doing there has still been some time to work on my own things. A lot of them can be seen on my DeviantArt Page, CAB-Art. Here are some lower-resolution pictures with some comments:

Zac Efron
Digital Portrait Painting
Adobe Photoshop
This one was my first legitimate attempt at doing a portrait painting. The internet reference picture was on one side of the screen and photoshop was open on the other. I started basically blocking in shapes, then slowly worked that into a simple black and white value study underpainting to establish values for the piece. Once that was done I went in and added color.

Amy Lee
Digital Portrait Painting
Adobe Photoshop
My second portrait was of Amy Lee. I idealized a lot of the shading in this one. Again, I started with a black and white value study underneath and then layered color over it.

Laura Vandervoort
Digital Portrait Painting
Adobe Photoshop
Third attempt at digital portraiture. This time I was focussing on methods for rendering texture in the hair and in the shirt. Some of the shadows in her neck also gave me some wonderful practice.

Alex Pettyfer
Digital Portrait Painting
Adobe Photoshop
Alex was my 4th portrait. Again, I was playing with  how to render textures by painting. This time I focussed mainly on the texture in the skin, lips, and hair.

Ian Somerhalder
Digital Portrait Painting
Adobe Photoshop
In my next portrait I combined all those methods and lessons into a portrait of my favorite actor, Ian Somerhalder. This one was a little more difficult and time consuming, but I think I eventually got what I was looking for. I still have some things to learn but I think I have a good start.

Crystal
Digital Painting
Adobe Photoshop
Sometimes painting portrait after portrait gets boring, so after playing around with Ian's portrait I went and tried something a little different. I pulled up a picture of a crystal on the internet and just studied the way glass reflects light and influences color. Crystals are such a fun thing to paint for this.


I have also been working on a giant 30 in x 40 in Sailor Moon Stars Poster in my free time. I started working on it over the summer and got about 75% of the way done, but with all my school work I haven't quite found time to complete it just yet. Maybe over winter break I will be able to sit down and finish it. My next post will be coming soon and will talk about my steps and progress on that monster. Until then, thanks for viewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment